If you just set-up a new IMAP based email account on your iPhone things are normally pretty easy. However, if the set-up didn’t go totally as planed you will sometimes get an error message that says your message was “rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying”. Don’t worry, this is easy to fix!
All this means that your outgoing mail server settings are not quite right. Here’s all you need to do to fix it.
- Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts and select the account you are having difficulty with.
- Click on your email address at the top of the screen.
- Go down to the bottom of the screen where it says SMTP and click on it.
- Select the Primary Server at the top of the screen.
- Ensure that your username and password are entered into the appropriate spots, Use SSL is turned on and Authentication is set to Password.
- Click Done at the top of the screen and you should be good to go!
Hopefully this helps you solve this common and very annoying email issue!